Sign In

FAQs for Research Staff

How can I get media coverage for my study, publication or news?

We�re interested in hearing from you about your news, whether it is upcoming publications and presentations or new grants and studies. Please contact the appropriate communications representative as early as possible to pitch potential stories to us. We can help you evaluate the newsworthiness of your story based on defined criteria.

Alert us as soon as a paper has been accepted by a journal, in order to allow time for a news release to be drafted, reviewed and approved by appropriate Division and Program channels. With rare exceptions, news releases will only be written if they can be issued under embargo, at least three days in advance of publication, in order to encourage media coverage.

As your communications partners, we provide strategic counsel to determine the most effective approaches to media, which studies and publications are likely to attract media attention, how to prepare for interviews and other media opportunities, and how your information may fit into Kaiser Permanente�s broader goals.

Who oversees my research area?

If you have any questions about who to work with in DOR Communications, please contact us at (510) 891-3425.

How do I respond to media calls or emails?

The Communications Department is responsible for coordinating all media contact related to Division of Research programs, studies, publications and other news and information. Please call the appropriate communications representative if you are contacted directly by a member of the media.

What do I tell a photographer/videographer?

Photo and video shoots at Kaiser Permanente sites, including the Division of Research, must be coordinated through the Communications Department, which handles the extensive clearances and consent forms required under patient privacy laws and other restrictions. This process can be time consuming, so please contact us as soon as discussions begin.