Skip to content

Factors influencing women’s acceptance of prenatal screening tests

OBJECTIVE: To determine the factors influencing a woman’s acceptance of the expanded alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) test. METHODS: A population-based case-control study. All women (age < 35) who declined the expanded AFP test were identified as eligible cases. Controls were randomly selected from all women (age < 35) who accepted the test. RESULTS: We interviewed 199 cases and 229 controls before 30 weeks of gestation. While 47% of cases reported opposition to abortion as one of their reasons for declining the test (Group A), the remaining 53% of cases had a variety of other reasons for declining (Group B). After controlling for potential confounders, factors significantly associated with declining the test included: skepticism of the usefulness of the test results (odds ratio (OR) = 33.0), influence from family members (OR = 11.4), low educational level (OR = 7.1), willingness to keep a malformed fetus (OR = 6.2), failure to use providers as useful sources of information (OR = 5.0), and misunderstanding of the purpose of the test (OR = 2.0). Polytomous logistic regression revealed that Groups A and B had different determining factors as well as common factors. CONCLUSION: While many influential factors for participating in prenatal screening remain unmodifiable, some of them may be addressed to improve women's acceptance of prenatal screening tests.

Authors: Li DK; Karlberg K; Wi S; Norem C

Prenat Diagn. 2008 Dec;28(12):1136-43.

PubMed abstract

Explore all studies and publications

Back To Top